Sunday, October 6, 2013

Perks of Singleness





Last week I posted a status message about my mental list of the perks of singleness. While the stat was written totally being silly I received requests to share my "list".  We will see how well it goes to write it down.

I will start out with a disclaimer: This is meant to be lighthearted. I do not mean to demean the blessing of children or even of marriage. These are just things I enjoy in this stage of my life.

There will be no particular order. They definitely aren't in order of importance. Just as they pop into my mind.

1. Travel: I love to travel. Single I am much freer to pick up and go than if I was a wife and mother.

2. Sleep: I like sleep. Who doesn't? Whenever I am really tired and I watch a mother having to get up very early, or in the night it makes me thankful for my freedom to sleep.

3. Clothes/Fashion: Some guys (not all) are very particular about what their women wear. I bought a pretty winter hat a few weeks ago. I know a lot of guys don't like hats but since I don't have a man to please I wear what I want. :)

4. Freedom to give: Singleness means more time and money (usually) to be able to help others.

5. Reading: Anyone who has known me more than five minutes knows I love to read. There are times I don't think I could have a conversation of any depth without referencing books. A family would greatly diminish the amount of time I get to spend in books.

6. No husband = no pregnancy = no labor! Enough said on that one! :)

7. Parenting: I am not sure what to say about this one. The older I get the scarier parenting looks. Parenting is an awesome (and I mean that in the deepest sense of the word) responsibility. I am in no hurry to rush into it.

8. Singleness means more time with my parents. Though I am gone five days a week now, I still get to go home every weekend and I love it.

So there you have it, Ladies. There are many, many little things I am always finding that belong on this list but most of the things fit in these categories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The level at which you place men on an intellectual level is very painful to grasp. You place marriage as if the central goal is to promote the growth of human kind. It would even appear that you think that the above average man would put down any woman's self respect and dignity. Though it is painfull to see. I do so wish there would rise a man who would view a woman even if not his wife as just as high on the intellectual level or even higher. This conservative view of the woman under the man is tearing at the heart of everything pure and dignifying.

Rhonda said...

I just now saw this post. I don't get on here very often.
I really have no idea what you are talking about. I didn't really say anything about men in my post let alone put them on any sort of intellectual level whether high or low.
The post was meant to be very lighthearted for a few friends of mine. It was a conversation that started on FB and grew into a post.
If you would like to explain what you mean more you are welcome to.