Sunday, October 6, 2013
Perks of Singleness
Last week I posted a status message about my mental list of the perks of singleness. While the stat was written totally being silly I received requests to share my "list". We will see how well it goes to write it down.
I will start out with a disclaimer: This is meant to be lighthearted. I do not mean to demean the blessing of children or even of marriage. These are just things I enjoy in this stage of my life.
There will be no particular order. They definitely aren't in order of importance. Just as they pop into my mind.
1. Travel: I love to travel. Single I am much freer to pick up and go than if I was a wife and mother.
2. Sleep: I like sleep. Who doesn't? Whenever I am really tired and I watch a mother having to get up very early, or in the night it makes me thankful for my freedom to sleep.
3. Clothes/Fashion: Some guys (not all) are very particular about what their women wear. I bought a pretty winter hat a few weeks ago. I know a lot of guys don't like hats but since I don't have a man to please I wear what I want. :)
4. Freedom to give: Singleness means more time and money (usually) to be able to help others.
5. Reading: Anyone who has known me more than five minutes knows I love to read. There are times I don't think I could have a conversation of any depth without referencing books. A family would greatly diminish the amount of time I get to spend in books.
6. No husband = no pregnancy = no labor! Enough said on that one! :)
7. Parenting: I am not sure what to say about this one. The older I get the scarier parenting looks. Parenting is an awesome (and I mean that in the deepest sense of the word) responsibility. I am in no hurry to rush into it.
8. Singleness means more time with my parents. Though I am gone five days a week now, I still get to go home every weekend and I love it.
So there you have it, Ladies. There are many, many little things I am always finding that belong on this list but most of the things fit in these categories.