Monday, May 26, 2014

Baby Wayne's Eventful Arrival

I am going to attempt to journal some of the events in this journey with Baby Wayne in the hospital. It is times like this that I really wish I was better at writing down thoughts. I will do my best.

This first part I am going to rush through details. Mom and I got to Todd and Monica's house about 10:00 Friday night. She was in full labor. I left around 11:30 to go stay the night at Todd's brother and sister in law's house. In the middle of the night I woke up and saw a message Monica had posted in a private thread on FB that she had been transported to the hospital. I assumed that it was because she wasn't progressing and labor had been so hard from the very beginning. Later that morning Mom told me that the reason she had been taken to the hospital was because the midwife had checked the baby's heart rate and it was very low.

About 10:00 I was getting ready to head back over to Todd and Monica's to pick up mom and take her to the hospital when Mom called. She said it was a boy and he had a collapsed lung and was on a ventilator.

When we got to the hospital we went back to the room to see Monica. The midwives went in with us at the same time. We all sat around waiting to see Baby for quite a while. Monica filled us in with the detail of the night and morning. Most of the time for the next couple hours was spent trying to let Monica rest. We were all, of course, very anxious to see the baby.

I think it was around 1:30 the doctor came in and gave us an update. It totally blew us away. We had no idea things were where they were. He started by telling us that they needed to transport him to the Children's hospital.  He then told us Wayne had inhaled meconium in the womb. When he was delivered he tried to breath but his lungs were stuck together because of the meconium. He actually ripped a hole in his lungs trying to get air. That is what caused the lung to collapse. At this point I still didn't realize just how severe the issues were. He said "He is a sick, sick boy." At that point I think I started to get a slight hint of what was to come. He told us that they would bring Wayne in before he was transported so Monica could at least see him a minute before they left since she hadn't seen him yet at all.

We waited a little longer. I have absolutely no idea how long it was. The doctor came back in and told us that they weren't going to be able to bring him in. Things were too severe and they had to get him to the hospital as soon as possible. He continued to say how sick he was then told us that he might not make it through the day. I was totally not prepared for that at all. It blew me away. Everyone in the room just sat there and looked at him.

Things started to move. Papers had to be signed for them to take the baby. Phone calls had to be made  to set up permission for Mom and me to go see him. Probably a lot more things went on then that I don't remember. They told us to wait about an hour I think before we headed to Children's.

No comments: