Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Funeral To Remember

I wanted to write about Grandpa's funeral yesterday but I don't even know where to begin. It was a very unusual service. I had never been to anything like it in my life. Dad decided that the best tribute we could give Grandpa would be to play his music -  so that is what we did. My cousins joined us to play. The songs weren't well practice and some of us didn't know all the words but I think we accomplished our goal.
In between each of the songs my Uncle Mike asked for a memory or testimony from anyone. Many friends gave wonderful testimonies and memories. Both of my aunts and a few of my cousins and siblings told stories.
When that part of the service was over my Uncle Mike preached a short message. It was very good and he was able to make all the family laugh with a few inside jokes. :)
We were all amazed at how many people were there! There was literally standing room only. The hallway was lined with chairs and there were still people standing in the back. How blessed we are to have such friends.
I was most amazed when I was standing in the hallway talking to someone and looked up and there was my dear friend, Bethany, and her dad! My jaw dropped and I think you could have blown me over! What a wonderful surprise! I couldn't believe that they would drive a total of ten hours to be there for the service!!
After the service we went to our church building and had lunch. It was wonderful to get to spend some more time with our friends. It was an exhausting day but I will never forget it! 

1 comment:

Ginger said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. I am glad the funeral went well.

Thank you so much for coming by my blog. I'll be coming back over yours soon!
Ginger