Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chicago Excursion

We found out Sunday that my cousin was going to have a 5 hour stop in Chicago on her way back to Arizona. She was taking a train so she could just get off and do what she wanted for those five hours. When my dad found out that she was going to be there for all that time he didn’t like the idea of her being by herself so Monica decided we would go up and spend it together.

We left about 8:30 this morning. There were a few little mishaps in direction on the way up but nothing big. Monica had printed off directions to Union Station. There was only one problem. When we got up here 65 was closed between 80-94 and 90 which is where we were supposed to go. I tried to call my dad but he didn’t answer. I tried a few other people and finally got ahold of a lady from our church who used to live in the Chicago area so she knows it pretty well. We were able to find our way pretty easily. The traffic wasn’t ever all that bad.

When we got to Union Station, Brittany was standing there waiting for us so she threw her luggage in and jumped in before the light turned green. Then things got fun. Did you all know it is impossible to park ANYWHERE in Chicago with out paying at least $15? We just wanted to stop long enough to get some subs at Subway! So, again, we stopped at a red light and Brittany and I jumped out and the other girls drove around the block while we got the subs. We wanted to go eat at Lake Michigan and then decide what we wanted to do. The problem is we got going the wrong direction (which was my fault. I told Monica not to turn and then realized we should have when it was too late.) and we couldn’t get back! We finally got to Navy Pier which is where we wanted to be. We ate our lunch and then walked around trying to decide what we wanted to do. We thought about riding the Ferris Wheel but we decided to look around before we decided. Of course, by the time we got finished we didn’t have time. :) We walked to the end of the pier and all the way around. We had a lot of fun looking around at everything. The lake is so beautiful! We took a water taxi back out into the city a little ways. The boat ride was fun but I was kind of disappointed that it was kind of hard to see out. It was still neat though.

We had to walk several blocks back to the pier. The problem was that we weren’t sure how to get directly back so we hit a dead end and had to walk all the way around the block to get back. Some of the gardens and fountains were beautiful. We really enjoyed it. Chicago is a neat place to visit but I am so thankful I live outside of little Logansport, pop. 17,000.

When we got back to Navy Pier we all got ice-cream. We made the mistake of getting two scoops. That is a lot of ice cream! I was getting full before finished the first scoop! I got one strawberry and one chocolate. The one thing I liked about it was that they actually filled the cones! I hate it when the ice cream is only on top and then you have to fight to keep it from falling off and your cone is just plain. 

Then came the part that made me realize why my dad HATES Chicago. When we headed back to Union Station we were supposed to get on Lake Shore Dr. but somehow we didn’t. We just had to drive the regular streets. If anyone has ever told you that Chicago drivers are rude they were right!! It was terrible!!!!!!!!!!!! I was SO tired of hearing people honk. At one point we got in a lane behind  a bus that decided to park in the middle of the street. We needed to get over and no one would let us which was not unexpected but then the people behind us started honking at us and yelling. I don’t know what we were supposed to do. We couldn’t get around either. We got lost driving around. I was so tense trying to read the map and help Monica drive at the same time. Yikes! I couldn’t believe how often those people switch lanes! Things would be a lot better if people would just pick one and stay there! We finally made it but by then the time was getting close for Brittany’s train to leave!  She wanted me to jump out and help her with her luggage. I thought it was just to unload out of the trunk so I didn’t grab my cell phone. She ended up wanting me to help her into the station. I didn’t mind helping her but I was really wishing I had my phone. I think my phone is like a security blanket for me. I don’t mind being by myself if I can at least contact someone! So after helping her for a while I decided I had better get back to the car. When I got back out the girls were gone! I figured they had had to leave the loading/unloading lane and drive around. But, of course, I didn’t have my phone! I just waited and watched VERY closely so I would see them coming. They came back in just a couple of minutes and I jumped in.

We decided to head down Lake Shore Dr. but as my dad would say “You can’t get there from here!” We were basically just winding our way southeast. Pretty soon we were in some areas we really didn’t want to be in. Yikes! We got out of it pretty soon. I called Dad and he said just to get over to Lake Shore Dr. as soon as we could. One crazy, funny thing that happened was we stopped at a light and then it turned green so we started to go and this guy walked out in front of us and then stopped there while he waited for the other lanes to clear so he could finish crossing. I still can’t get over how rude people are! If people would just follow the rules of traffic it would be so much better for everyone!  We finally made it back to Lake Shore Dr. and then after that it wasn’t so bad.

We decided when we got back on to 65 we would stop at Cracker Barrel and just unwind and relax. Our supper was very good and we had the sweetest waitress. The problem with being in that area is that people assume you are from First Baptist Hammond. I don’t like being associated with them! The waitress asked us where we went to church so we told her and then she told us that she thought maybe we went to First Baptist. She told us where she went to church. It was some Baptist church in that area. All in all she was one of the best waitresses I have ever had.

We had a very good day. The Lord blessed us with beautiful weather and protection from the crazy drivers and our stupid mistakes. He is always good!

3 comments:

BSBT said...

Sounds like a crazyly fun day! Glad you got to spend time together, even if things may not have gone just as you may have thought they would. :)

Well, for not posting so much you sure make up for it with the LONG post. :~)

Rachel said...

Sounds like you had a really busy day! I do NOT like Chicago either...:)

Amber said...

I kinda do... But i don't ever want to drive in it!:)
I Tag you Rhonda!