Thursday, June 12, 2008

Kindness of Strangers

This afternoon my mom asked me to grab a few groceries for her because she was going to Indy with Dad and couldn't go to the store. I ran to the store and got the few items and then headed to the gas station to fill the gas can. I still had over $20 left and never thought about that not being enough to fill a gas can. I filled the gas can and THEN looked at the total. Yikes! That is not a good idea. But I decided that even though I hated how much it was I did have the money for it. Wrong again. When I went to pay I didn't have as much money left as I thought I did. I told the woman what happened and step out of line to call someone. I didn't have a clue as to what I was going to do because my parents were on their way to Indianapolis and my older sisters were in Royal Center. I called Monica to see if she just happened to be in town. While I was on the phone this man came up to me and asked if I just needed some change. I told him it was a few dollars and he walked away. Monica was just telling me that she could give her credit card number over the phone when the man came up again and handed me his business card and $5 and told me just to send it back to him! I was pretty surprised! All I know about him is he is a construction worker with a three generation business that was established in 1944. That is what his card says. Tomorrow morning $5 will be headed off in the mail. Praise God for always providing even in the most unexpected ways.

10 comments:

Shelley said...

I appreciate you sharing that story, it's a good reminder to me because He is so faithful! I'm so glad He provided for you in that situation.
Charlie's mom is in town from Nebraska and it sounds like she's going to come to church with us this week! We look forward to having her with us. Miss you and look forward to seeing you all on Sunday!

Rhonda said...

I am looking forward to seeing you. I have missed you! It has been so long! I will also look forward to meeting Charlie's mother.

BSBT said...

WOW! that is so cool!

Makes me think though, if the Lord helps me in ways like that then I should always be looking for others in need of help.

You never know if you may be helping "Angels unawares" :) just a thought.

Anna Joy said...

WOW.

Rhonda said...

I had the same thought, Bethany, about helping others.
I sent a thank you note and the money this morning. I will call next week to make sure he got it. If it got lost in the mail and he never got it I would feel terrible. Except for the fact that if it got lost I would never know it. :)

Chelle said...

How awesome! Praise the Lord for lending through that man. How nice it is that we can still see God working through strangers.

Amber said...

Praise God, He works in mysterious ways. :)

spyder-slayer™ said...

Wow tis truly amazing what God can do.

Stepheny said...

Wow! This is great! The Lord is so good!

Steph

AboveAllRubies said...

it's good to hear that there are some nice strangers out there still. it gets depressing somtimes to go into public because people can be so grumpy! lova ya!