Monday, January 10, 2011

Like a River Glorious

  1. This hymn has been one of my favorites for a long time. I say "one of my favorites" because I probably have 100 favorites. Ava probably learned her definition of the word favorite from me.
  2. A few months ago we were singing this one in church. I wasn't actually singing since I was playing my violin but I was reading the lyrics as we went along. Though I had been singing this song for as long as I can remember it really stood out to me that day. I had planned to post the lyrics that day, but as I so often do, I procrastinated.
  3. New Years eve I was really struggling with some stuff. I felt like anything but partying that night. I just closed my self in my room and started reading Scripture. Soon God's glorious river of peace was flowing. The tears didn't stop immediately but eventually they turned from tears of sorrow to tears of praise and thankfulness for God's amazing love.

  4. Like a river glorious is God’s perfect peace,
    Over all victorious, in its bright increase;
    Perfect, yet it floweth fuller every day,
    Perfect, yet it groweth deeper all the way.
    • Refrain:
      Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest
      Finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest.
  5. Hidden in the hollow of His blessed hand,
    Never foe can follow, never traitor stand;
    Not a surge of worry, not a shade of care,
    Not a blast of hurry touch the spirit there.
  6. Every joy or trial falleth from above,
    Traced upon our dial by the Sun of Love;
    We may trust Him fully all for us to do;
    They who trust Him wholly find Him wholly true.

3 comments:

BSBT said...

I Love the hymns!
I do that all the time in Church as well.
The Sunday right before we left for the Philly's it seemed like EVERY Song we did that day was just hitting me. It blew me away!
While we were gone I found myself really missing the power of the hymns!
Wonderful wonderful

Rhonda said...

I am reading Elisabeth Elliot's book Keep a Quiet Heart right now (I think I am always in the middle of an Elisabeth Elliot book lately). She said in one of the sections I read the other day that it would be impossible to overestimate the influence that hymns have had on her. She quotes from them often in all her books. There is one that she quotes over and over in Passion and Purity (or maybe she doesn't quote it over and over, maybe it is just because I have read it over and over - anyway...) that I don't know but the lyrics are beautiful. It goes something like Jesus is that fountain, the deep sweet well of love. I will have to look it up and see if I can find it. I am thinking it is by or from a quote of Samuel Rutherford.

Rhonda said...

Ah! I did know the song. It is from The Sand of Time are Sinking. Yes, it is based on letters from Samuel Rutherford.