Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Precious in the Sight of the Lord

When Monica, Amanda, and I returned from cleaning a house this morning Mom told us that Alan McGill, an old family friend, had died. We had received a letter from his wife a few weeks ago saying he had had a stroke. We received a second letter a few days later saying that he was improving and had been moved from ICU. This morning we received an other letter from Mrs. McGill with the news that he went Home last Thursday.
Mr. McGill was a friend of my grandpa's for years. They met in college in the late '40's. Mr. McGill sang for the Christian Cowboys (my grandpa's musical group) for a short time before he went on with his own ministry. He continued to sing up until his stroke.
My mom, Beckisue, Monica, and I had the blessing of being able to visit the McGill's a couple of years ago when we went to Maryland for a wedding. I hadn't seen him since I was a little girl and I am so thankful I had the opportunity to spend some more time with him.
He was ten years younger than Grandpa and they died just three months apart.

Here is the end of Mrs. McGill's letter:

"Like the true southern gentleman he was, he exemplified honor. He was distinguished, gallant in manner, abundantly lovable, with a courtly and stately style, and truly a "prince of a man." In addition, he had a very kind and compassionate heart. As many have replied, my husband was a genius, never using notes in his presentations, but presenting prograns and singing all "on his own". He did this for approximately 58 years; and, as was his wish, he sang for his Saviour up until the time when two strokes caused complications which resulted in death.
"My heart is broken because of this tremendous loss, but along with many of you, I can share in looking forward to a triumphant day when all of us, as believers, can be together eternally, and I can have much joy; I know that Alan is now singing for THE KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS!"

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Thanks for sharing that Rhonda. What a beautiful testimony of the love of a wife for her husband. I only hope that I lift Charlie up half as well as Mrs. McGill did her husband. I am so grateful that the Lord has brought our lives together and that through our friendship I am exposed to stories like these. Praise God for His kindness! Love you much, Shelley