Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ear Piercing Excitement

When I was little my parents told my sisters and me that we could get our ears pierced when we turned 18. My dad always wanted us to have things to look forward to. He didn't want us to grow up all at once.
When I was little we went to the mall at Christmas time every year. That was about the only time we ever went to the mall then. We love to see all the decorations. The year Beckisue turned 17 my parents decided to let her go ahead and get her ears pierced for Christmas. Since she is the oldest the age changed. We now had to be 17.
Each of us ended up having to wait until we were just a little over 17. It is kind of funny how that worked out. Beckisue of course waited because she wasn't given permission until after she was 17. Then Monica had to wait because Beckisue did. Older sisters just work that way. :) Then when I turned 17 I decided to wait just because I wanted to. Actually it was a long story that I won't bore anyone with. I finally made the decision to have holes punched a few months later. Amanda had to wait because we were in the middle of remodeling our house when she turned 17 and mom didn't want her to get an infection from all the dirt and stuff.
So, guess what? Stephanie turned 17 a few weeks ago. But tradition holds. Everyone decided that Stephanie had to wait too.
Stephanie and some friends from church have been making plans for weeks. They all wanted to go together. Things didn't work out how they had planned but but two of them did get to go together.
They both decided it didn't hurt nearly as bad as everyone had told them it would. They were both quite relieved.
So that makes the last of the Cosby girls to get extra holes in their head. :)

15 comments:

Anna Joy said...

Fun! :D My sister had to wait till she was sixteen but dad let me get mine done when I was 13. I was asking him (kiddingly) about double piercings the other day and he said "NO WAY!" :) Surprisingly, I don't wear earrings nearly as often as I thought I would before I got my ears pierced. Okay, long enough comment about my ears already....:D

spyder-slayer™ said...

aahh you girls make me laugh...


I haven't quite talked to my dad about my ears yet! I'm thinking I'll wait a bit longer.

Rhonda said...

I am glad we are good for something, Bret.
Anna, I totally know what you mean. When I was deciding whether or not to pierce my ears I told my self that if I decided to do it I would always wear earrings. I wasn't going to have wholes in my ears for nothing. Well - guess what? I rarely wear earrings. :)

Anna Joy said...

LOL Bret!

My mom pierced her own ears in college with an ice cube and a sewing needle. :P


Now I think I'd better wear earrings to church tomorrow night. I can't even remember the last time I put some in!

Rhonda said...

Okay, one of these days I will learn to read my comments before I post them!
That should have been "holes" not "wholes."
I just noticed I did the same thing in the post! Yikes!

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

Stephanie was sure to let us know that she was the exact same age, to the day, as I was when I got mine done.
I am one that does were ear rings as offten as I can, I love them, especially long dangle ones. :)

Beckisue said...

No Rhonda, older sister would like for it to work that way. This is just an unusual area where it did. Most of the time the older sister has to wait and the younger sister gets to do it when she does. :) I am not bitter though! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't want to get my ears pierced,it sounds painful!!
No offense,girls. :)
And anyways I don't like earrings.:D

Anonymous said...

It's Hannah,Sam is Always signed in.... :)

spyder-slayer™ said...

Beckisue, I totally understand what you mean, and feel your pain. The oldest boy and girl in a family are giant test cases...

Rhonda said...

Goodness! I didn't know that a post on ear piercing would actually get so many comments. Most of the time I don't get comments even when I ask for them! (like my hundredth post!)

Yes, Beckisue, I know that is how it usually goes. In this case it happened to actually stick with the age.
Sorry you have life so hard, Bret! :)

Anna Joy said...

Just out of random curiosity....how did your parents decide on 17?

Anna Joy said...

ha I just reread your post. sorry!

Anonymous said...

Aww, fun story! I have never had mine pierced (just no desire), but my 9-yr-old just let me know she BADLY wanted hers done. So - yesterday we took her to Claire's and now they are pierced. Merry Christmas!
Susan