Monday, July 7, 2008

Berries, Berries and More Berries

I headed out to work in the garden just after 7 this morning. When I got out there it looked like there was a storm coming and the thunder was crashing like crazy. I decided that the weeds would be there after the storm past but the berries wouldn't be so I would do that first. I ran back in the house to get a container and I started picking as quickly as I could. Amanda joined me soon and we both worked for a while. Amanda went to pick peas and green beans after a while and I kept on with the berries. By 9 o'clock we had well over a gallon of berries a large bowl of peas and enough green beans for a meal and I thought I was about to starve. I NEVER wait 2 hours after getting up before I eat breakfast!
I spent a large part of the morning cutting the stems off of the mulberries. I really need to figure out a way to do that faster. It takes as long or longer to take the stems off as it does to pick them.
Amanda and I went with our neighbor right after lunch to pick blueberries. Amanda and I picked 18 pounds. Rhenda picked 14 lbs. I don't know how she does it so fast. The two of us together only got four more pounds than she did in the same amount of time. I think we are going back on Saturday to get more. Rhenda wants 50 lbs. this season.
When I got home I was totally exhausted but my day wasn't over. I still had a piano lesson. After I had a shower and ate supper I felt better. I didn't realize that it was still so hot and humid when I left to ride over there. My teacher only lives about 3 miles away but I still felt like I was going to melt by the time I got there.
I had a pretty good lesson. I started a new book tonight.
My teacher decided that she wanted to see if my bike would fit in her van in case she ever had to drive me home. So once we got it in there she said she would just take me home tonight. Last year one night Monica and I had ridden over there one night and it was sunny a nice and then on the way home a storm rolled in. So ever since she worries that a storm will come or it will get dark or something. Now we know that the bike will fit in her van if needed. :)
Thus ends a long day. Now I am going to go read a book!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Let me know when you are going blueberry picking, I just did the last day of Cherry picking yesterday!